top of page
Luxury Cruise Ship

Set Sail with

The Right Travel Documents

Proper documentation is required in order to board the ship and enter each of the countries your cruise visits. 

U.S. Domestic Cruises

For cruises that begin and end in the same U.S port, the following documents are acceptable for cruise travel.

  • U.S. Passport

  • Passport Card

  • State Enhanced Driver's License

  • Certificate of U.S. Naturalization

  • Native American Indian Card

  • US-born citizens may also use a birth certificate (issued by a government agency and accompanied by government-issued photo I.D.)


A passport (valid for six months after the cruise ends) is required for the following cruises:

  • Cruises that begin and end in a different U.S. port

  • Cruises that visit Colombia or Greenland 


Europe and Transatlantic Cruises

U.S citizens are required to carry a passport, valid for six months beyond the return date of their voyage. Guests are not required to have a Schengen Visa or other visas.


Australia, New Zealand, Asia and Transpacific Cruises

U.S citizens are required to carry a passport, valid for six months beyond the return date of their voyage. Visas and/or specific travel documentation may be required for some destinations.


Air Travel

All persons are required to carry a valid, unexpired U.S. passport for air travel to or from the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory (Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands: St. Thomas, St. John, and St. Croix). 


Names on Travel Documentation

It is important that the your full name (first name and last name) on the cruise and airline tickets be the same as the your unexpired, government-issued photo I.D. that will be used for travel identification. In the event of a different name on the cruise/airline ticket and the guest's photo I.D. because of a marriage, divorce or a legal name change, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required at embarkation, such as a marriage certificate, marriage license or legal name change court document. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding. 


Traveling with Minors

When traveling with a minor where one parent, both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original, signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the minor (due to sole custody, deceased, etc.) other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, death certificate, birth certificate naming only one parent, would be useful to bring in place of a signed letter. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. 

The Passport Card

The passport card cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States. The passport card will only be valid for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region, and Bermuda.


Traveling with a Birth Certificate AND Photo Identification

Birth Certificate Information - The following are acceptable:

  • An original or copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

  • A clear, legible copy (photocopy) of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified.

  • Birth Certificate Card

  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

  • Internationally adopted children (under the age of 18): If the adoptive parent was not issued a birth certificate, we will accept as proof of citizenship, a Certificate of Citizenship by the U.S. and adoption paperwork. A Certificate of Citizenship is issued by the U.S. once the adoption is finalized.

  • Guests may obtain a copy of a birth certificate by contacting: The Department of Health and Vital Statistics at: If the guest has laminated their birth certificate, it is acceptable.


Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010, are not valid forms of proof of citizenship and are not accepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Guests from Puerto Rico either need to present a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo I.D. with a validated birth certificate issued after July 1, 2010.




Photo Identification

An unexpired government-issued photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

  • Driver's License (a temporary Driver's License with photo is acceptable)

  • Driver's Permit

  • School/Student I.D. (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)

  • Government-issued identification card including a U.S. Military I.D. with photo (city/state/federal)

  • Government-issued Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - for photo identification use only

bottom of page